Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 600v fusible disconnect

  1. #1
    Inactive Member SamC's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2002
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a 600v fusible disconnect rated at 30 amps. 2 questions.

    1> Can I legally use this disconnect on a 240v circuit? I've seen an older version (same cat #)of this switch and it had HP ratings for 600v and 240v. The one I have has only the 600v rating.

    2> Also can I use 600v rated fuses on a 240v curcuit or would I have to get 250v fuses and clips and install them in the disconnect?


    ------------------

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner electric-ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2001
    Posts
    191
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sam, I could not find anything in the Code that addresses your specific question. I would suggest that you can use the 600 volt switch and fuses on a 240 volt circuit, but not the other way around. If you use it for a motor circuit it really should be HP rated for the voltage you are using it on.

    Hope this helps.

    Ed

    ------------------

  3. #3
    Inactive Member SamC's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2002
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the reply Ed.
    I kind of figured the disconnect would be okay, my biggest concern was the fuses, an electrician I work with figures the fuses must also be sized to the voltage being used. Since the fusible disc. sw I have has 600v fuse clips, he figures I have to purchase 250v fuse clips and use 250v fuses. From what I remember fuses open on current flow not on wattage, so voltage should not be a factor. Iam I right on my thinking?

    ------------------

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner electric-ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2001
    Posts
    191
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sam, you are correct, fuses open on current, not watts.
    With regard to the voltage rating, 14-012 simply states that protective equipment "shall have ratings sufficient for the voltage employed". From a safety standpoint, I can't see any problem, however, you never can tell how an inspector will interpret the situation.

    Ed

    ------------------

  5. #5
    Inactive Member SamC's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2002
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Again Ed
    Iam going to call the inspection department, and see what the inspector says. I was hoping some inspectors would be visiting this site by now. Anyway I'll post what the inspector says, regarding the fuse voltage rating.

    SamC

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •